Position Description: Managing Director
Reporting to the Founder and Executive Director of WCC, the Managing Director will be responsible for all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
Program Operational Leadership:
- Provide effective and inspiring leadership by being actively involved in all programs and services, developing a broad and thorough knowledge of all programs.
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget.
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization using key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain WCC’s management team and department heads.
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge national and regional operations and support an open-door policy among all staff.
- Identify opportunities for WCC to leverage cross-program strengths to take advantage of new opportunities and/or to address organizational challenges.
- Prepare and submit an annual operational budget, manage effectively within this budget, and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Ensure the continued financial viability of WCC’s operations through sound fiscal management.
- Ensures that the organization runs effectively, efficiently, and within budget.
- Ensure that WCC remains in compliance with all county, state and federal reporting guidelines in respect to subcontracts, sub awards and other grant awards.
- Supervises the following Direct Reports:
- Director of Dog Programs
- Director of MBTR
- Facilities Manager
- Director of Development
- Communications Manager
- HR and Office Manager
External Relationship Development:
- Assist in managing and cultivating existing relationships with funders to secure and expand recurring revenue streams.
- Publicly represent WCC with the media and external constituency groups including community, governmental, and private organizations and build excitement for WCC’s mission.
Strategic Plan Implementation:
- Working in partnership with the Executive Director, execute the strategic 10-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
- Coach program directors and department leads as they implement the strategic plan and transition program operations.
- Implement the system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation through KPIs.
- Insure that WCC remains in compliance with all county, state and federal reporting guidelines in respect to subcontracts, sub-awards and other grants.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of WCC and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are ideally seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling a multi-site organization and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright, diverse team.
The successful candidate will most likely have had management experience with a non-profit organization. As noted, this is an organization driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prized. Additional requirements are:
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen including successful P&L management; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Strategic Vision and Agility—ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building—ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Leadership and Organization—exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Action-Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary; not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management—thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Solid educational background—undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Please put your last name, first name and “Managing Director” in the subject line. This position is currently open and we will accept applications until the position is filled. Serious applicants with the required experience will be contacted for interviews.